[LINK] [PRIVACY] Google to track users across its sites, whether they like it or not

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Fri Jan 27 11:13:54 AEDT 2012

Roger Clarke wrote:
> At 10:19 +1100 27/1/12, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
>> Tell me more about my browser signature.
>
> http://panopticlick.eff.org/
>
> Undertaken by EFF's Peter Eckersley, sometime of Melbourne:
> https://www.eff.org/about/staff/peter-eckersley

I took the bait and did the test:
> Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 1,939,797 tested so far.
>
> Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that conveys at least 20.89 bits of identifying information.

The information they gave wasn't a surprise as I have regularly analysed my
own website's stats since 1996.

Of more concern, are websites that collect information, which profile email
addresses. I have always been curious about the demographic analysis of
Internet Usage - location, I accept as being on the basis of IP adress but
sex, age etc, if valid, has to be gatherered in some other way.

I found this most alarming.

<http://haveyoursay.nsw.gov.au/terms>
> We collect information from you when you register to use this site. This information may vary depending on the specific needs of Department of Premier and Cabinet NSW, however, at a minimum is includes your:
>
>     * Screen Name
>     * Email Address
>     * Suburb
>
> Demographic Information
>
> Additional demographic information such as your age, sex, household income, suburb and interests may also be collected at this time. You can click the Sign Up to Have your Say link to check this.
..
> Who has access to this information?
>
> When you sign up for a user account you provide three types of information:
>
>    1. Publicly available information
>    2. Information available to both Department of Premier and Cabinet NSW and Bang the Table
>    3. Information available to Bang the Table only
<http://haveyoursay.nsw.gov.au/privacy>

Also, Mozilla seems to offer this:
> Private Browsing allows you to browse the Internet without saving any information about which sites and pages youa^??ve visited. This article explains what information is not saved when in Private Browsing and gives you step-by-step instructions for using it.
> Warning: Private Browsing doesn't make you anonymous on the Internet. Your Internet service provider, employer, or the sites themselves can still track what pages you visit. Private Browsing also doesn't protect you from keyloggers or spyware that may be installed on your computer.
> Table of Contents
<http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Private-Browsing?>

Marghanita

PS Roger, apologies for uncapping your name, in my last email.
--
Marghanita da Cruz
Ramin Communications (Sydney)