[LINK] Megaupload data may go bye-bye

TKoltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Tue Jan 31 01:27:04 AEDT 2012

At the risk of being boring and repetitious, which part of "This is
really really bad for the US future
Cloud industry" do the politicians that control this action not
understand.

The US Cloud industry has been valued by some by being around the 10
billion dollar mark this year. [Ref 1]

I doubt that any foreign company or Government will consider trusting
the US cloud business if the users data is indiscriminately deleted
because the servers were based on US soil...

In fact, I can see this affecting Google, Amazon and the soon to be
attempted 100 Bn Facebook IPO.

The Megaupload operators ? Send them to jail for a hundred years.
Profiteering from other peoples labour without revenue split is
unethical, immoral and just downright evil.

But as for the innocent users data that is about to be deleted...

The fix is easy. Put a proxy in front of the servers.
Turn the DNS back on.

Log every access to every file.

Tell people they have 90 days to get their data off.
Also tell them that anyone attempting to access copyrighted material
will be sued to the full extent of the law. (And then do so.)

Deleting all the files will leave a very bad taste in the mouths of
millions of users that have stored legitimate files.

Those people vote. The chances are, based on usage demographics of the
Internet that 3/5ths of the users are resident in the USA. That's 30
million voters. This is an election year.
Whose running the show over there anyway ?
It can't be a Democrat.. They are the reasonable peace loving option
aren't they ?

Then again, Go ahead US guys.... This must have a positive result on the
cloud industry in Australia. Or, will the push back be people running
from the Cloud as fast their little P2P fingers can carry them ?

On the Luddite scale this ranks as -99 for execution and +999 on redneck
(I've got a big gun) bully boy tactical numskull behaviour.

Disclaimer: I have no data or interest, financial or otherwise in
Megaupload. I do have an interest in the future of IT, and this police
action is definitely contra a long term positive outcome.

Tom

[1]
http://www.rackspace.co.uk/media-centre/news/article/article/us-cloud-co
mputing-industry-could-be-worth-86bn-by-2011/