[LINK] Not a good week to shop in Beijing

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Mon Jul 2 08:55:04 AEST 2012

On 28/06/12 21:17, Peter Bowditch wrote:

> Long ago anecdote ...

To add to the anecdotes:

I visited China in 2003 as a guest of the Beijing Organising Committee
for the 2008 Olympic Games (BOCOG), to provide advice on designing the
web site for the games.

One of the organised tours BOCOG offered the visiting international
experts was to take us to the markets where fake good were sold. Our
hosts assured the representatives present from the International Olympic
Committee that no fake Olympic merchandising would be tolerated by the
Chinese government. As to why, if the authorities could stop those
fakes, they did not stop all fakes, was not made clear.

See also "Beijing By Bending Bicycle: On a Visit to China to Help with
the Beijing 2008 Olympics Web Site": http://www.tomw.net.au/2003/bws/

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia  http://www.tomw.net.au

Adjunct Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/