[LINK] The Miniscule Scientific Lunatic Fringe Petition..... Was - Weekend Magazine

Frank O'Connor francisoconnor3 at bigpond.com
Mon Jul 2 14:37:35 AEST 2012

Love it when he quotes the lunatic fringe .... From Wikipedia ...

"Arthur B. Robinson (born 1942) is an American scientist and activist.[1] He is the founder of the Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine, which describes itself as a research institute that studies protein chemistry, nutrition, and predictive and preventive medicine. It is run out of his home. He is also the developer of the Robinson Curriculum, described as a "self-teaching" "K-12 home school curriculum".[2] In 2010, he was the Republican candidate for the U.S. House of Representatives from Oregon's 4th congressional district.[3]"

"Robinson founded and heads the Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine (OISM), a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization located near Cave Junction, Oregon. It studies biochemistry, diagnostic medicine, nutrition, preventive medicine and the molecular biology of aging; it receives no government funding.[6] Robinson established OISM in 1980 after a disagreement with his mentor Linus Pauling.[7] Other listed faculty are, electrical engineer Carl Boehme, physician Jane Orient, chemist Noah E. Robinson, and veterinarian Zachary W. Robinson.[6] Previously on the staff were Salk Institute biochemist Fred Westall, Nobel prize-winning chemist R. Bruce Merrifield (who died in 2006), and biochemist Martin D. Kamen (who died in 2002.)
The OISM circulated the Oregon Petition, a "Scientists' Petition" on global warming, in collaboration with the late Frederick Seitz, former president of the National Academy of Sciences. OISM founder Arthur Robinson is skeptical that humans cause global warming.

The OISM website states that "several members of the Institute's staff are also well known for their work on the Petition Project, an undertaking that has obtained the signatures of more than 31,000 American scientists opposed, on scientific grounds, to the hypothesis of "human-caused global warming" and to concomitant proposals for world-wide energy taxation and rationing."[8]"

and

"Robinson is a signatory to A Scientific Dissent From Darwinism, a petition produced by the Discovery Institute that expresses skepticism about the ability of natural selection to account for the complexity of life, and encouraging careful examination of the evidence for "Darwinian theory"."

He may play in the Tom Koltai book of reputable scientific sources, but to me he's a right wing fundamentalist Christian Creationist of the Tea Party persuasion. Not exactly an unbiased scientific source, and sadly typical of many of the sources Tom quotes so earnestly.

Is Tom perhaps a Creationist too? Oh, I'm sorry .... it's a Designist now isn't it?

You elected to bow this out of the water, Tom ... I'm simply playing the game now.