[LINK] RFI: ADLS2+ Performance

TKoltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Thu Jul 5 20:42:54 AEST 2012

Top-posting for formatting reasons... (Sorry, using MS Outlook today...)

The Physical copper is always hard connected, yes.
The "magic" happens further up the layer chain.
One interesting experiment for users of smaller ISP's would be to
monitor your IP number (unless now on 192/10 range...).

And yes, the stat numbers are a little out, but I did the tally in 2010.
(And only ADSL2...) I wasn't interested in ADSL1.

The following is an interesting looksee. Each box is an
8,16,24,32,48,96,120,240 or 480 port ADSL DSLAM.
When considering the space in each exchange... And the size of each
rack... And the permitted racks per exchange... One realises very
quickly that in many exchanges, there just isn't the room for adequate
racking of DSLAMS.
http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au/cappedexchanges.php (A bit dated, but
accessible by the public.)

As far as ports vs customers, iiNet in the their 2011 A/R claimed
Quote/
iiNet became the second largest DSL service provider following the
successful acquisition of AAPT's Consumer Division. We now provide 1.3
million total services and have over 640,000 DSL subscribers, up 35.5%
and 18.9% respectively./Quote
(http://www.iinet.net.au/2011annualreport/annual-report/managing-directo
rs-report-p2/)

That was approximately 225k AAPT customers that were serviced by AAPT on
55K AAPT ADSL ports (and some from Chime etc).

If in June 2011 they had 640,000 DSL customers and in July they had only
500K ports, that's a very respectable 20% floating customer base.

In other words, a most reasonable Signal to Noise ratio.

TomK

-marketplace.
pdf
http://www.broadbandexpert.com.au/broadband-news/iinet/iinet-installs-it
s-5
00000th-broadband-port_773408

Also, I do not comprehend how ADSL dropouts can be associated with an
alleged insufficient number of ports, because I am under the very strong

impression that an ADSL connection to a port is a fixed physical/copper
wire connection. If there are no spare ADSL port in an exchange when a
new
customer applies, then they aren't connected and have to wait until
another
customer terminates their service, or the carrier/ISP installs more
ports
in the particular exchange. IOW, I am under the impression that when an
ADSL connection drops out, when it reconnects, it's connecting to the
same
physical port as previously, i.e. some other customer can't grab it
during
the drop out.

Irene