[LINK] Digital disaster as online security firm loses personal data in the mail

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Tue Jul 10 09:59:38 AEST 2012

At 04:05 AM 10/07/2012, Rick Welykochy wrote:
>    AusCERT, which was paid $1,199,484.52 to run
> staysmartonline.gov.au between
>     April 29, 2008 and April 29, 2012, lost subscribers' data after
> using Australia
>     Post to send it on a DVD to the Department of Broadband,
> Communications and the
>     Digital Economy (DBCDE) on April 11 when its contract to run
> the alerts service
>     expired."

Doesn't do much for Aussie Post's reliability either! It was in an
express post bag according to the stories.

There is another teeny-weeny problem. I had no idea what
staysmartonline was, so I went to the website. Nothing on there front
page under feature or hot topics about this fiasco. One would think
that the first place you would try to disseminate information about a
security breach is on the home page of the system that's been jeopardised.

I used to get the original Auscert alerts, but when the government
took over and spit in the face of the originators, I decided not to
play with them any more. Given this blunder, glad I didn't.

Any sign of the Department of (a)BCDE notifying the people whose
personal data has been lost in this current situation?
(was the department named in alphabetical order so it was easier for
them to remember when they had to write it out? j/k)

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/