[LINK] itNews: Tas Police fed up with Social Media

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Mon Jul 16 09:55:01 AEST 2012

At 08:46 AM 16/07/2012, Roger Clarke wrote:

>"Police should be contacted only where the content relates directly
>to a crime," he said.

Question: Is defamation a crime or a civil offence?
As far as I can tell, the individual can still sue someone for
defamation. Let's clog the courts then! ;-)
But there are cases of criminal defamation, but according to the link
below, it appears to come after a finding of a judge that the case
involved malice, rather than police doing anything in advance of the trial.
http://www.thenewsmanual.net/Resources/medialaw_in_australia_02.html

And what about cyberbullying? Will the police act then? What about
racial vilification? The broad brush about what happens offline
versus online isn't good enough a distinction.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/