[LINK] itNews: Tas Police fed up with Social Media

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Tue Jul 17 00:23:36 AEST 2012

Noel writes,

>>> It's likely that cyberspace norms will *generally* drift towards=20
>>> meatspace norms, but with some adjustments to reflect the lower-touch
>>> / limited-body-signals nature of the medium.
>>
>> Agreed. But cyberspace norms need the same legal backups to 'normalize'
>
> They have them now,  s474.17 of the Commonwealth Criminal Code makes it
> an offence for a person to use a carriage device to menace, harass or
> cause offence to another person, it's punishable by up to 3 years
> incarceration

Thanks Noel. But once again, I for one, was writing regards the online
behaviour of minors. Do you know if parents are legally responsible or
held to account for the online behaviour of their children in law? (As
far as I know this is currently not the case?) At present and thus far
many, many children treat most virtual spaces as, 'manners-free' zones
at the least. Again, I might say, make the parents legally responsible.
Surely only in this way will cyberspace norms approach real-life norms.

Cheers,
Stephen