[LINK] Internet > less need for real contact & driving licences?

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Thu Jul 26 08:29:08 AEST 2012

On 25/07/12 16:32, Robin Whittle wrote:
> http://www.ns.umich.edu/new/releases/20646-percentage-of-teen-drivers-continues-to-drop
>
>     "Overall, the observed decrease in driver licensing is consistent
>      with the continued increase in Internet usage," Sivak said. "In our
>      previous research, we found that the percentage of young drivers
>      was inversely related to the proportion of Internet users. Virtual
>      contact, through electronic means, reduces the need for actual
>      contact."  ...

This research seems to assume that you need to drive a vehicle in order
to have actual contact. Perhaps those using the Internet have discovered
they can use it for the business they would usually do by car and can
walk to their social contacts.

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia  http://www.tomw.net.au

Adjunct Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/