[LINK] Australian Food Reputation

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Sat Jul 28 19:12:29 AEST 2012

I'd bet 'food cleanliness' will be a huge advantage in terms of personal
health, and also, in world-trade terms. And, I'd also bet that Australia
produces many of the 'cleanest' foods now available, anywhere, worldwide?

For our future what 'Made in Australia' means deserves visionary resarch.

Anyway could any Linker, with Elsevier access, maybe check these findings
regarding the differences found in this current food research. I'd expect
the findings may be 'very positive' in terms of Australian food producers.

"Worldwide occurrence of mycotoxins in commodities, feeds and feed
ingredients"

Abstract:

Globalisation of the trade in agricultural commodities has contributed
significantly to the discussion about potential hazards involved and has
increased in particular the awareness of mycotoxins.

Safety awareness in food and feed production has also risen due to the
simple fact that methods for testing residues and undesirable substances
have become noticeably more sophisticated and more available at all
points of the supply chain.

A 2-year survey program was initiated by feed additive producer Biomin®
in order to evaluate the incidence of mycotoxins in feed and feed raw
materials in some of the major animal production regions.

(Fusarium mycotoxins tested were those known for their impact on feed
industry and animal husbandry, namely deoxynivalenol (DON), T-2 toxin,
zearalenone (ZON), fumonisins B1, B2, and B3. In addition, ochratoxin A
and aflatoxin B1, which are not produced by Fusarium, were tested and are
reported herein since interactions between Fusarium toxins and other non-
Fusarium mycotoxins are possible.)

A total of 2753 analyses were performed on 1507 samples sourced from
European and Mediterranean markets, and 6391 analyses were undertaken on
1291 samples originating from the Asian-Pacific region.

More than half of materials sampled in Europe were contaminated at levels
above the limit of quantification of methods applied, while one third of
tests on Asian-Pacific sourced samples were positive.

European samples had DON, ZON and T-2 toxin as major contaminants,
materials from Asia and the Pacific tended to be contaminated with DON,
ZON, fumonisins, and aflatoxins. © 2007 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.

Animal Feed Science and Technology
Volume 137, Issue 3-4, 1 October 2007, Pages 265-282
<http://www.journals.elsevier.com/animal-feed-science-and-technology>

Cheers,
Stephen