[LINK] Sea levels rising at ~20mm per decade and ocean acidification

Frank O'Connor francisoconnor3 at bigpond.com
Fri Mar 2 08:01:39 AEDT 2012

Mmmm ...

On 26/02/2012, at 12:02 PM, Robin Whittle wrote:

> Still, I guess some people will do the extreme mental gymnastics
> required to believe and argue that we shouldn't be worried by our
> historically unprecedented levels of fossil fuel burning.

I read a book titled 'Merchants of Doubt' last year by Naomi Oreskes and Erik Conway ...

It was a neat exposition on how a handful of scientists sold out to the tobacco industry, the fossil fuel industries, and fossil fuel based industries, and the like ... and how the same names and suspects kept turning up. Most were scientists who hadn't done any research for 20 or more years, who hadn't been published for the same period, who had done the bulk of their research in unrelated fields (the vast majority for the military industrial complex), who had a record of supporting conservative, neo-conservative and other right wing causes, and who were associated with 'think tanks' that pushed agendas favourable to various industries.

They named names ... which is rare nowadays ... and surprise surprise, didn't get sued.

Funny that ...              :)