[LINK] QUT Prof: 'Co-regulation key to safer internet'

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Wed Mar 7 09:40:02 AEDT 2012

At 09:26 AM 7/03/2012, Roger Clarke wrote:

>However, Flew indicated that similar classification regulation may be
>required on the internet to restrict public access to adult content
>with an R18+ or X18+ rating .

Question: are materials under those ratings illegal or legal for
adults? Those are two different ideas. Restricting public access to
legal material could be seen as restraint of trade and illegal
itself. Maybe by 'restricting', the good professor doesn't mean
blocking, but controlling access?

It's nothing to me either way, personally, but I'd hate to see
Australia go the way of the US in this regard and treat us all as
children or as not conforming to some conservative moralistic code.

As an example, see this story from South Carolina:
http://www.9news.com/news/politics/254166/139/SC-county-GOP-wants-hopefuls-to-sign-purity-pledge

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com