[LINK] Categories for a community directory

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Sat Mar 10 10:48:18 AEDT 2012

At 12:10 +1300 10/3/12, Paul Bolger wrote:
>I'm running a little community website in which we have a directory of
>local organisations (http://sumnercommunity.org.nz). The current
>categories for organisations/individuals were pinched off another
>community website, and my guess is they either made them up or pinched
>them off someone else. At the time we decided not to put too much time
>into agonising about getting the categories right, but now there's a
>move to try and rationalise them.
>
>Is anyone on this list aware of any sort of standard category list for
>this type of data? Somewhere in the Dewey spec, or DC, or even an XML
>schema?

A search on <NGO Taxonomy> turns up quite a few items of interest,
not least:
http://www.ngohandbook.org/index.php?title=Classification_of_NGOs

There are four general schemes used to classify Non Governmental
Organizations. These include:
*   United Nations International Standard Industrial Classification (ISIC)
*   General Industrial Classification of Economic Activities (NACE)
*   National Taxonomy of Exempt Entities (NTEE)
*   International Classification of Nonprofit Organizations (ICNO)
These are commonly referred to using their acronyms provided above.
This article will attempt to provide a comprehensive review of these
classification schemes.

Requires (inexpensive) membership.

[As a Director of several of NGOs and Chair of one, I should know
more about this than I do  (:-(}  ]

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in the Faculty of Law               University of NSW