[LINK] Categories for a community directory

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Sat Mar 10 14:34:33 AEDT 2012

At 15:55 +1300 10/3/12, Paul Bolger wrote:
>Thanks Roger, but I'm looking for something a bit more general here -
>a set of categories which could cover the local dog catcher, dog
>groomer, writer of dog psychology books

I think you might mean the opposite - that you want something a bit
more *specific* or detailed, rather than a bit more general.

1.  UN International Standard Industrial Classification  (ISIC)

ANZSIC probably costs money to purchase, although I haven't actually
checked that.  Whereas the underlying (over-arching?) UN ISIC is up
there, gratis.

This gives some assistance in the way of general structure.  The
classification scheme itself doesn't go to the level of detail you
want, but some of the examples do.

Look at the nodes and leaves of O 91, 92 and 93, e.g.:

http://unstats.un.org/unsd/cr/registry/regcs.asp?Cl=17&Lg=1&Co=91
http://unstats.un.org/unsd/cr/registry/regcs.asp?Cl=17&Lg=1&Co=9199

http://unstats.un.org/unsd/cr/registry/regcs.asp?Cl=17&Lg=1&Co=92
http://unstats.un.org/unsd/cr/registry/regcs.asp?Cl=17&Lg=1&Co=923
http://unstats.un.org/unsd/cr/registry/regcs.asp?Cl=17&Lg=1&Co=924

http://unstats.un.org/unsd/cr/registry/regcs.asp?Cl=17&Lg=1&Co=93
http://unstats.un.org/unsd/cr/registry/regcs.asp?Cl=17&Lg=1&Co=9309

2.  UN International Classification of Nonprofit Organizations (ICNO)

This Handbook is 6.8MB:
http://unstats.un.org/unsd/publication/seriesf/seriesf_91e.pdf

But p.31 (external p. 42) offers a structure.

So do pp. 36-40, 93-97, 189, 202, 208-11, 213-217.