[LINK] Categories for a community directory

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Tue Mar 13 10:03:37 AEDT 2012

Roger Clarke wrote:
> At 9:01 +1100 13/3/12, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
>> Tagging/Keywords are the way to go. A piece of information can be
>> categorised/viewed in lots of contexts.
>>
>> The current directory categories for Annandale on the Web
>> <http://ramin.com.au/annandale/ > are:
<snip>
> It's always tempting to follow the line of least resistance, go with
> the flow, 'just do it', avoid discipline and just have fun.
<snip>

Roger,

Please see my comments to The Digital Culture Public Sphere
<http://www.katelundy.com.au/2011/09/06/the-digital-culture-public-sphere/comment-page-1/#comment-106808>

> Unless it became really, really easy to do, disciplined tagging was
> never going to happen, and hence DC was destined to never reach
> critical mass.
>
> Marganita, you were far, far more committed than I ever was.  I only
> ever DC-meta-tagged one, single paper - that one on the Dublin Core

I disagree with your diagnosis - the hard bit is the categorisation -
encoding is simple as is translation between formats. That is not to say
that we would like perfect information and with hind sight we would have
liked even more.

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz