[LINK] It's Not All About You: What P... (theatlantic.com)

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Fri Mar 16 15:01:05 AEDT 2012

At 13:49 +1100 16/3/12, Dr Bob Jansen wrote:
>It's Not All About You: What Privacy Advocates Don't Get About Data
>Tracking on the Web
>http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/03/its-not-all-about-you-what-privacy-advocates-dont-get-about-data-tracking-on-the-web/254533/

The first half of the title is fair enough, and the text below says
it well (although it's hardly new news).

But I'm not sure what justification Furnas has for accusing "privacy
advocates" of not knowing how behavioural targeting works, and why
it's a problem.

I don't agree with his conclusion that "our critiques of ad tracking
(and the fundamental asymmetries it creates) need to focus more on
power and less on privacy".  *Both* need to be focussed on, market
power in the consumer protection context, and privacy in the human
rights context.

Maybe what Furnas really means is 'Consumer advocates need to wake up
and attack behavioural targeting, and its enabler, the acquisition
and exploitation of personal data, with as much gusto as privacy
advocates do'.

[So, agreed Bob, it's thought-provoking, i.e. just-annoying-enough (:-)} ]

Nice short explanation:

Rather than caring about what they know about me, we should care
about what they know about us. Detailed knowledge of individuals and
their behavior coupled with the aggregate data on human behavior now
available at unprecedented scale grants incredible power. Knowing
about all of us - how we behave, how our behavior has changed over
time, under what conditions our behavior is subject to change, and
what factors are likely to impact our decision-making under various
conditions - provides a roadmap for designing persuasive
technologies. For the most part, the ethical implications of
widespread deployment of persuasive technologies remains unexamined.

Using all of the trace data we leave in our digital wakes to target
ads is known as "behavioral advertising." This is what target was
doing to identify pregnant women, and what Amazon does with every
user and every purchase. But behavioral advertisers do more than just
use your past behavior to guess what you want. Their goal is actually
to alter user behavior. Companies use extensive knowledge gleaned
from innumerable micro-experiments and massive user behavior data
over time to design their systems to elicit the monetizable behavior
that their business models demand.  At levels as granular as Google
testing click-through rates on 41 different shades of blue,
data-driven companies have learned how to channel your attention,
initiate behavior, and keep you coming back.

... this is just an update to the longstanding discussion in business
ethics circles over the implications of persuasive advertising.
Behavioral economics has shown that humans' cognitive biases can be
exploited, so Roger Crisp has noted that subliminal and persuasive
advertising undermines the autonomy of the consumer. And the advent
of big-data and user-centered design has provided those who would
persuade with a new and more powerful arsenal. This has led design
ethicists to call for the explicit "moralization of technology,"
wherein designers would have to confront the ethical implications of
the actions they shape.

...  The result is a fundamental information asymmetry. The data
collectors have more information than those they are they are
collecting the data from; the persuaders more power than the
persuaded.

...  To understand the stakes, our critiques of ad tracking (and the
fundamental asymmetries it creates) need to focus more on power and
less on privacy.

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in the Faculty of Law               University of NSW