[LINK] alternative clients for alternative routing

TKoltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Mon Mar 19 16:05:39 AEDT 2012

Dear Andy,

An inquiring mind would download, peek, and then poke. Possibly observe
how the code is forked and then search  for strings on apparently
unrelated forks and discover an incredible alternative world.

One might for example, also examine the currently operational
distributed routing capabilities of alternative bit related magpie
fodder. That might cause one to start looking for overlay networks that
incorporate some of the code with and for sims.

But you are right, some on Link demand instant operational gratification
and can only be bothered at observing that the Facebookesque nice and
shiny aspects are lacking and deduce the code was stagnant.
(In fact it's amazing how many different forks (about 13) there are on
this topic that apparently are stale.)

Leading the non-qualified researching archivist geek to deduce that "it
obviously just doesn't work".

Others would remember we covered this topic in some depth in August 2009
where (I called it Root Servers) and wherein I pointed at an article
that in turn pointed at the following:

P2PNS: A Secure Distributed Name Service for P2PSIP, Ingmar Baumgart,
Proceedings of the Sixth Annual IEEE International Conference on
Pervasive Computing and Communications (PerCom 2008), Hong Kong, China,
p. 480-485, Mar 2008.

Transparent Mobile IP: an Approach and Implementation, A. Giovanardi, G.
Mazzini, IEEE GLOBECOM'97, Nov. 1997, Phoenix, USA, pp. 1861-1865.

Single-Hop and Dual-Hop Routing Strategies for Polling WLAN Systems, A.
Giovanardi, G. Mazzini, IEEE GLOBECOM'98, Nov. 1998, Sydney, Australia,
pp. 1805-1810.

Is there currently operational software ? (...and where's the 32 bit
binary version?)

Not wishing to offend anyone that runs any sort of communications
network, or the sensibilities of those that feel I am only good at
quoting others, I consider that persons qualified in the mystic art of
archival retrieval would be able to find the relevant information
without having to be spoon-fed.

In closing, sometimes you start with a stale web page and discover...
that good researching archivists can read between the lines. After all
where's the fun in always just picking the first link in Google ? The
evolutionary treasure hunting aspects only appear at about after page
5.... (it used to be 2... Sigh.)

TomK