[LINK] itNews: 'Aust Govt defends against attacks on ACTA'

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Tue Mar 20 09:08:00 AEDT 2012

[According to the usually reliable reporter below, DFAT says ACTA
would not infringe people's civil liberties, the freedom of the
Internet or require ISPs to monitor activities of individuals.

[I've not done the hard yards of analysing the long series of drafts,
let alone whatever the current iteration is.  But my impression was
the *opposite* of what DFAT says.

[Have I suckered for anti-ACTA propaganda, or do we have public
servants who lie through their teeth?]

Government defends against ACTA attacks
John Hilvert
Mar 19, 2012 4:02 PM (16 hours ago)
http://www.itnews.com.au/News/294195,government-defends-against-acta-attacks.aspx

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) has espoused the
positive benefits of Australia ratifying the
proposed Anti-Counterfeit Trade Agreement (ACTA) to a parliamentary
committee.

DFAT trade policy assistant secretary George Mina told the committee
that the ACTA did not overstep existing treaties and laws on
copyright and intellectual property, and would in fact provide a
higher level of certainty for Australians that do business in
overseas markets.

"Activities that were legal before ACTA is ratified will be legal
after ACTA is ratified," he said.

Mina said ACTA would not infringe people's civil liberties, the
freedom of the Internet or require ISPs to monitor activities of
individuals.

"There will be no censorship on the Internet or require ISPs to
prevent copyright infringement or terminate their internet
connections," he added.

Mena argued that Australian negotiators took note of concerns raised
around ISP liabilities.

"There was a great deal of concern in our ISP community as to the
potential impact of this on the safe harbour regime under our
Copyright Act," Mina said.

"We spent a great deal of time with members of the Internet Industry
and representatives of users concerned about the impact of this
agreement on our legislative setup.

"I can also attest to the fact that there was a degree of
satisfaction expressed by representatives of the Internet Industry as
a result."

Mina said that 30 of the 37 countries negotating the ACTA agreed with
the draft text of the treaty. At least six countries are required to
ratify ACTA for it come into force, he said.

He played down reported accounts of concerns in some European
countries about ACTA's impact on local laws.

"No country in the EU has made a definitive decision not to ratify
ACTA," he said. "Some countries are pausing while they reflect
further, is our understanding of the situation."

He said that the Australian Government worked hard to achieve a
process that was transparent, inclusive and open, and that it
involved more than 150 stakeholders.

Open to change

The Australian Digital Alliance (ADA) raised concerns before the
committee that the ACTA assumed the current state of intellectual
property laws was ideal and would only entrench them.

In response, Mina said the ACTA was written in broad and flexible
terms and could accommodate IP reforms that Australians may wish to
pursue.

He pointed to ACTA's Article 2 which states that each party to the
treaty is free to determine the appropriate method of implementing
the provisions of the agreement within its own legal system and
practise.

A second round of hearings before the Joint Select Committee on
Treaties is scheduled for Friday March 23.

Disclosure: John Hilvert was employed by the Internet Industry
Association at the time of ACTA deliberations."

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in the Faculty of Law               University of NSW