[LINK] How to Divorce Google

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Wed Mar 21 10:51:53 AEDT 2012

Kim Holburn wrote:

> https://www.pcworld.com/article/252104/how_to_divorce_google.html

>> You see, I'm leaving Google, in toto -- meaning in every single possible personal way. What you're reading is the first seven days in the attempt, which is ongoing.
>> If you live in the modern world, leaving Google is both heresy and damn difficult to do. My primary motivation is that I don't believe Google's privacy protection claims. But you should know I cannot know the truth of its claims; I simply don't trust them. I was raised to be skeptical.

The articles points out a very nice addition for your hosts file
that blocks "unwanted parasites" from accessing your PC:

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

I've divorced google.

* It was easy to tell all of my browsers to use another search engine.
* As well, it was easy to block cookies from the *google* domains,
   which includes the googleanalytics leeches.

I've missed nothing googlish since I've done this.

The article also mentions a wealth of alternatives to the google
monoculture:

http://alternativeto.net/

By far the hardest thing to do is to eliminate and banish so-called
Super Cookies. This takes some additional software which I have not
tried.

cheers
rick

--
Rick Welykochy || Praxis Services

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.
      -- H.L. Mencken