[LINK] Of NBN and Fibre [Was: Will this be 100% NBN coverage of the ACT? and Question re NBN]

David Boxall david.boxall at hunterlink.net.au
Fri Mar 30 09:44:36 AEDT 2012

On 29/03/2012 8:20 PM, Jan Whitaker wrote:
> ... we aren't even in the 3 year window....
To be fair, it _is_ an eight-year program. If Labor loses power too
soon, even that will probably be scrapped.

The ABC's excellent news special is a little old, but still gives a good
overview and history:
<http://www.abc.net.au/news/specials/national-broadband-network/>. If
the plan is seen through to its end, what comes next?

In my area, there's one lonely NBN-ready estate. Within the three-year
window, it's about 40 kilometres from the nearest NBN fibre (though I
gather there's Telstra fibre to the estate). According to the plan, my
place won't get fibre at all.

On 30/03/2012 12:16 AM, Paul Brooks wrote:
 > Areas that don't get the fibre NBN at all - the wireless and
 > satellite footprints - will keep their copper lines to support
 > telephone services until....well, until someone comes up with a
 > better plan.
I hope the "better plan" involves continued rollout of fibre. Is there
any point in pretending that anything less will prove adequate?

--
David Boxall                    |  Perfection is achieved, not when
http://david.boxall.id.au       |  when there is nothing left to take
                                |  away.
                                            --Antoine de Saint-Exupery