[LINK] Go 1

Ben Elliston bje at air.net.au
Fri Mar 30 10:00:23 AEDT 2012

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 11:12:42AM -0700, Rick Welykochy wrote:

> The most interesting feature: the language supports concurrency,
> which may be its greatest strength. Think of the multi-core CPUs
> sitting out there unloved and under-used. Most computer languages
> and computer programmers cannot, will not and do not support
> concurrent programming to any reasonable level.

I know several computer science academics who are now advocating
students be taught parallelism and writingg parallel programs right
from first year.  I think that's the right idea -- you have to get
into that mindset.  The sooner, the better.

> As to claims of ease of building simple, reliable and efficient
> software, I quietly chuckle to myself. Any fool armed with a
> sufficiently elegant tool can make a wonderfully elegant mess. The
> solution to the extensive problem of software reliability and the
> many attendant related security issues is not a new computer
> language.

Good programmers can write good software in any language, and in my
own experience, the benefits of new languages are often overstated.
The problem is that the large majority of those employed to write
software these days are not particularly good programmers.  For them,
we need languages that prevent them from cutting themselves.

Cheers, Ben