[LINK] Fwd: MR26-12: Media statement by Chris Chapman on the Convergence Review

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Tue May 1 09:04:57 AEST 2012

At 08:54 AM 1/05/2012, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
>"Relentless digitalisation"?
>
>Perhaps Mr Chapman should have bothered to read some of the 305 submissions
>and April 2000 Productivity Commission Report.
><http://www.pc.gov.au/projects/inquiry/broadcasting/docs/finalreport>

I have come to the conclusion that all these inquiries, commissions,
reviews, etc. are part of the black arts. Do the people writing them
have any means, logical or otherwise, to consider the relative merit
of various contributions? Is it politics? Is it "economics"
(productivity is pretty much economics by another name)? Is it
'whim'? Do they throw the submissions down a flight of steps and
whatever lands at the bottom wins? Who is to say that one submission
has any more validity than another? Who is to say that any of the
approaches has any more validity than another?

I vote for the stairs + politics. Oh wait. That means someone would
have to print them all out and we know (?) in the world of
'relentless digitalisation' that is unlikely. So that leaves politics.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/