[LINK] Musings on Mac Malware

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Sat May 5 13:51:53 AEST 2012

I'm on OSX 10.4.11 - the terminal PowerPC version, on a Power Mac G5,
CPU PowerPC 970  (2.2), 1.6 GHz.  (Yes, the device has been scheduled
for retirement to the second office for a couple of years now).

I'll be moving to a dual-OS environment, details yet to be decided,
but basically as much Linux as I can manage, using OSX as little as
practicable but having it there in case some transitions to Linux are
tough work.

The reasons I'll be leaving Apple after almost 30 years are partly
the low priority given to Mac customers generally, of which the
security concerns in those posts are a good example, and partly the
rapid migration away from Unix-with-a-better-skin, in the direction
of customer-owning iOS.

(Unfortunately, Open Office appears not to support the
straightforward web-publishing method I've used for many years -
which depends on a template with styles and hidden php header and
footer calls.  Apart from that, I'm hoping the transition away from
OSX will be swift).