[LINK] Australia rolls over

rene rene.ln at libertus.net
Mon May 7 10:15:27 AEST 2012

On Sun, 6 May 2012 20:26:35 +1000, Kim Holburn wrote:

> Read the last paragraph.
>
> https://torrentfreak.com/the-lengthening-arm-of-uncle-sams-pirate-
> justice-120506/
>
>> The Lengthening Arm of Uncle Sam's 'Pirate' Justice
>>
>> • Myles Peterson
>> • May 6, 2012
>>
>> File-sharing was firmly on the agenda when the head of the US
>> Department of Homeland Security touched down in the Australian
>> capital last week. The four new agreements - promptly signed before
>> Secretary Janet Napolitano flew back out of Canberra - were less
>> about sharing season two of Game of Thrones and more about sharing
>> the private, government held information of Australian citizens
>> with US authorities.

Torrentfreak appears to be the only entity claiming that's the purpose of
the signed agreements. If it was to some extent, Nicola Roxon's associated
speech points out that: "...when we say that we want to increase and
improve cooperation, of course it still means that we will do that within
the constraints of our laws, which means that information is shared where
it meets particular thresholds.  ... there are very tight constraints
around what can and can't be shared. ... This agreement doesn't change
that. ..."
http://www.attorneygeneral.gov.au/Transcripts/Pages/2012/Second%20Quarter/4
-May-2012---Press-Conference-Canberra.aspx
[...]
>> We have reached a point in Australia where citizens can be arrested
>> and extradited to the United States based on information supplied
>> by Australian spies for breaches of US law on Australian soil.
>> Australia has effectively signed away its right to govern its own
>> in matters of copyright infringement when those matters overlap the
>> interests of the United States.

To the extent that some remarks in that para are factual, it isn't a result
of the recently signed agreements.

Irene