[LINK] Ready, fire, aim [Was: Australia rolls over]

David Boxall david.boxall at hunterlink.net.au
Mon May 7 15:57:06 AEST 2012

On 6/05/2012 8:26 PM, Kim Holburn wrote:
>> Through bypassing the courts and going straight to our legislators, who are arguably compromised in their ability to deal with the United States, the American Government is achieving the outcomes Hollywood lawyers and lobbyists could not. If Australian law will not deliver the results entities such as the RIAA and MPAA are pleased with, it can be circumnavigated by applying US law instead.
I have a neighbour who likes to buy TV series' on DVD. I've learned
better than to ask why.

A few years back, he complained about the delay imposed by the copyright
notices, each time he went to view an episode. I suggested ripping the
DVDs and viewing the files without all the guff.

To cut a long story short, following frustrating experiences trying to
do it under Windows, he ended up with a Ubuntu box. Taught himself how
to use dvdbackup, brasero and Handbrake (among other things). Quite
impressive for a man in his eighth decade.

I suggested that, if he has the video files, he doesn't need the DVDs.
He disagreed, until Aldi came up with a cheap 1.5 terabyte NAS box. With
the files backed up, he flogged off an extensive DVD collection.

The sound on my own DVD player recently stopped working. I hadn't used
it in years. Not to worry; my neighbour had what I wanted to view.

Way to discourage piracy.

So how do the authorities propose detecting USB-stick trade in files?

--
David Boxall                    |  A fool is certain;
                                |  an ignorant fool,
http://david.boxall.id.au       |  absolutely so.
                                            --Graffito