[LINK] Winsite went down in 2009 and mirrors erased it (!)

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Tue May 15 14:07:19 AEST 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 12:22 AM, Dr Bob Jansen
<bob.jansen at turtlelane.com.au> wrote:
> have you tried the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine?

Bob,

Thanks to your encouragement, I gave up trying to find active and
complete winsite mirrors and instead tried finding the original
software publisher on the Wayback Machine and found that the shareware
seller went out of business in 2004, but a 2003 version of the page
was mirrored and it did include a link to the binaries.
http://web.archive.org/web/20030424143227/http://virtual-mouse.com/

Thanks so much. Got all 3 versions of the "virtual mouse" software,
v1.0, v1.2, and v1.3. Still, it makes me wonder how much software was
likewise also lost with the killing of Winsite that is now
unrecoverable...

In any case, I've found a pretty complete Japanese hosted mirror of Winsite at
http://ftp.riken.go.jp/pub/pc/winsite/
that I plan to mirror next week as soon as I get FTTH installed.

(and no, the above files I was seeking were not included in the 2009
WinSite mirror in Japan nor in the UK one at mirror-service).

My guess is that to create a fairly complete WinSite mirror one would
have to combine the Japanese mirror above with the one at
mirror-service.org.uk, which sadly did not include many older files
like vm10.exe...

Again, thanks Bob.
FC