[LINK] NBN Applications in the 2012/2013 Federal Budget

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Tue May 22 09:22:46 AEST 2012

On 21/05/12 10:56, Nick Ross wrote:
> Beware any journo/blogger who uses the word "obviously".
>
> On 17 May 2012 09:39, Tom Worthington<tom.worthington at tomw.net.au>  wrote:
>
>> ... projects to use the NBN ...  in the federal budget  ...
>> Obviously none of the initiatives labelled as using the NBN are actually
>> dependent on the NBN and will work just as well on existing high speed
>> networks. ...

Apologies for the use of the word "obviously". Let me restate my point
without it: none of the initiatives labelled as using the NBN in the
budget are dependent on the NBN, they mostly just need a network, in
some cases a high speed network. It is fine to brand them as NBN
initiatives, as long as this is just for marketing purposes.

As a matter of public policy, I suggest the Australian Government should
not fund projects for the delivery of services which only work on the
NBN. Where possible, online services should be designed to allow for use
of slower networks. That will allow for more flexible delivery of
services, particularly in disasters and emergencies, when limited
network capacity may be available.

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia  http://www.tomw.net.au

Adjunct Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/