[LINK] South American FTTH - my experience + http per session throttling

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Mon May 28 13:07:06 AEST 2012

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 11:47 PM, Paul Brooks
<pbrooks-link at layer10.com.au>wrote:

> Try servers in Brazil, US west coast, US east coast, canada, a couple of
> places in
> Europe, and of course Australia and New Zealand.
> If  further international sites run slower than closer ones, its your
> machine that
> needs to be tuned to use bigger TCP buffers -

I have tried several downloads from several international sites (ie
downloads from SourceForge.net's international mirrors) and could never got
past 3Mbit per transfer.

I'm using Fedora 17 Linux (beta RC3) here FWIW, with Gigabit ethernet built
into the motherboard.

I have access to other systems, namely Atom based netbooks with WinXP and
Win7 respectively, both with 100Mbit fast ethernet.

AFAIK I never saw anything better than 3Mbit for international downloads,
but it never helps to try again with a more methodic approach.

FC