[LINK] Teaching and Learning at University of Queensland has a new green hi-tech building

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Fri Nov 2 08:40:34 AEDT 2012

On 31/10/12 16:32, Jim Birch wrote:
> On 31 October 2012 15:22, Tom Worthington <tom.worthington at tomw.net.au>wrote:
>
>> Greetings from University of Queensland, where it apparently is
>> "Teaching and Learning Week".
>
> It's good to see that they still do some teaching and learning at uni, even
> if it's only for one week a year...

That was my first thought when I saw the banner at UQ. But more
seriously, I was impressed with UQ's investment in a large modern
hi-tech building (in place of the demountable they used to have and
which some universities still dump their education staff in).

What was most impressive was that the education technology and delivery
units are now all co-located in the one building (the directors of the
units where having a joint meeting while I was there). At some
universities the people who do the e-learning technology are isolated
from those who teach teaching and those who organise short professional
courses.

But even so the effort being put in at universities on educating
educators in generally and in using new technology is not sufficient.
The result will be the loss of most international and domestic
university students to off-shore online educational institutions.

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia  http://www.tomw.net.au

Adjunct Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/