[LINK] iConomy lockin or why the fenced garden is creating more fence jumpers

Nicholas English nik.english at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 19:39:45 AEDT 2012

Seems to be a slow burn backlash in some quarters to the recent
upgrade(??!) of a particular OS
Probably large numbers of early adopters are from the 'it's cool and
just works' school which probably represents 60% of any particular
user base but issues with wifi connectivity are surfacing, even
amongst the fanboi media

            http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57521212-37/ios-6-users-continue-to-grapple-with-wi-fi-problems/

            http://mashable.com/2012/09/28/ios-6-wi-fi/ "... The usual
“reset network settings” fix doesn’t seem to solve the problem, and no
complete solution has been found yet. The thread about the issue on
Apple’s support forums is 94 pages long
(https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4310121?start=0), [ ... and
climbing - 151,000+ views 1200+ posts and this is only one forum NE]
indicating that these problems affect quite a number of users.

            https://discussions.apple.com/message/19752685#19752685
and the above forum about rolling back the iOS update as being a one
way street from which the only way out is via a jail break ( a quick
aside, I love the scare about voiding your [manufactures] warranty, do
they still have a warranty?! on a software update?)

           ...not to mention the (flat earth) Maps, and most
personally annoying is the behaviour of the Podcast app, which I wont
detail here as it is caveat emptor at the end of the day except to add
that being located in a 'dry' media environment podcasts are my meat
'n' veg :(

So what we have a is a highly successful marketeering company (well
they don't manufacture anything do they?!) convincing millions (5+) to
enter their perfumed garden. A skim through the blogs and 'support'
(cough!!) forums is an interesting read with fanbois' leaping to the
barricades, asserting there is no problem, those with a problem are on
their own "no one else is complaining, what's wrong with you!!", and a
range of other sops, while [manufacturer] remains silent about
problems - beyond the mea culpa on their maps

Well I guess MS survived Windows Millenium and recovered with Vista
and the dollars continue to be printed. What was the old joke about
being lucky MS didn't make cars? Roll mashed up footage of white car,
rectangular, with rounded corners, heading towards cliff with
occupants being told "exiting the vehicle will void your warranty..."
sigh

<end rant ... and thank you for your time>
best regards

Nicholas English

This message may contain privileged and confidential information
intended only for the use of the addressee named above. If you are not
the intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that
any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this message
is prohibited. If you have received this message in error please
notify the me. Any views quoted in this message are those of the
individual source and may not necessarily reflect my personal views.