[LINK] The Smart Meters are coming to get us!

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Thu Oct 18 16:33:59 AEDT 2012

Bob,

As an off-grid user - a large one compared to one house - I rarely worry
more than a little about whether it will deliver. Yes, there is also a
6kVA generator for emergencies. I had to start it last week when it
snowed in the Blue Mountains, and it had been idle for so long the
key-start battery was dead.

There's also 8kVA of batteries for overnight and dim days.

Solar doesn't have to take houses off the grid to upset electricity
company economics. It's happening now - solar is damping wholesale daily
peaks:
http://theconversation.edu.au/whos-afraid-of-solar-pv-8987

My only two bits of advice, as a user: get more panels than you think
you need, and more batteries. Over time, the extra thousand on batteries
is cheaper than a backup generator.

RC