[LINK] Roles and Responsibilities of System Administrators

grove at zeta.org.au grove at zeta.org.au
Tue Oct 23 10:13:03 AEDT 2012

On Tue, 23 Oct 2012, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:

> Do System Administrators have a Responsibility for Energy Use of Computer
> Systems?
>
> Tuning Systems and Energy Use (Sys Admin Roles and Responsibilities)
> <http://lists.slug.org.au/archives/slug/2012/10/msg00010.html>

I would say they have a position on advising on best use practices of a
system, to squeeze more out of them for less energy, but a lot of that
sort of thing is up to the data centre managers and those who are supposed
to understand BTU's and thermal flows, given they are not so much responsible
for the systems, but the air that flows around them.

We have a ducted airconditioner and a heat pump hot water system at home.
When the aircon is on, hot air comes out and cool air cycled inside.
When the heat pump is on, hot water is made and cold air ejected.
I would love to find a way to "synergise" these two systems so they
were one unit, but no one has thought that through yet for domestic
purposes....

rachel

--
Rachel Polanskis                 Kingswood, Greater Western Sydney, Australia
grove at zeta.org.au                http://www.zeta.org.au/~grove/grove.html