[LINK] myki

Antony Barry antonybbarry at me.com
Tue Oct 23 21:08:12 AEDT 2012

On 18/10/2012, at 1:01 PM, Karl Schaffarczyk <karl.schaffarczyk at gmail.com> wrote:

> the equivalent system here in the ACT is called MyWay, and it is used on
> the local bus service - ACTION. It brings with it a number of issues - some
> similar, some different.

The Canberra system was trialled for some months with seniors. We got the choice of having our seniors card replaced with a new one which was also the seniors card. I guess they though if we silly old duffers could use it anybody could and we were sure to show up the operational flaws!

>From my point of view it has made using a bus much simpler. Before the system the concession fare was only available at different times of day and the fare differed according to how long you would be using it. I was never completely sure how much I needed to pay so I would end up fumbling around for the likely amount of change I might need to pay while juggling the seniors card and trying not to drop it. Now I just swipe the card and as I get on and off and no hassles about change, ticket and card and not dropping anything.

With the card and Google transit telling me where and when I need to catch a bus and connect with others I am using buses much more as some of my regular travel requires three buses. Now if only ALL the buses had racks for my bike...

Then if the Labor-Greens coalition survives the counting in the next few days the age for free buses will be dropped from 75 to 70!

Tony