[LINK] Live streaming kills the planet, your cd collection doesn´t (as much)

tomk tomk at unwired.com.au
Fri Sep 14 14:09:24 AEST 2012

On 14/09/2012 1:57 p.m., Fernando Cassia wrote:
> *It makes sense, if you think of it... producing and shipping a CD is a
> one-time carbon footprint effort, while keeping datacenters humming 24/7
> and the network infrastructure so that you listed to a bit stream every
> time you hit PLAY has a much larger energy consumption...
>
> http://grist.org/list/your-cd-collection-is-greener-than-spotify/

Interesting Argument.
But we have to allow for CD-Player power consumption at a steady 35
Watts, Amplifier driving the speakers (another 15W) and the light switch
turned on to be able to read the tiny writing on the CD case which of
course is using valuable real estate floor space for storage (all of
which requires heating/cooling BTU cycles).

& for the old fart component, there is always the cost of driving to the
optometrist to buy the little glass cleaning polishing cloths that adds
the invisible uncalculated overhead....

I would say it's a close call with possibly streaming winning by a slim
margin of 1.5-1.7 watts per minute per 3 minute song play.

Where the streaming wins is the end device is usually battery powered
with earphones plugged in.
Therefore the saving is in the earphones and not the network or hardware
delivery options.

TomK