[LINK] iPhone 5 … Problematic

Frank O'Connor francisoconnor3 at bigpond.com
Sat Sep 15 11:51:50 AEST 2012

Sorry I was watching the Crows-Freo game last night ...

And the information below came right after Apple shut down pre-orders at apple.com.au.

I prowled Telstra, Optus and TPG user forums, Whirlpool telco forums, and the like. I was transferred around three different areas of Telstra trying to get a straight answer ... the best indicator I got was "Yes we have stocks of the Nano-SIMs, but I believe they need to be processed before they can be used in Telstra iPhones" and nobody was prepared to guarantee that the puppies would be widely available in Telstra Shops and like outlets within days, or even weeks, of the 21st September. (The idea of having to travel 100 klicks to a central Melbourne location to pick up a NanoSIM wasn't/isn't particularly appealing.)

>From the looks of other forums (SlashDot, Crowdsupport Telstra, various Whirlpool Telco forums etc) the other telcos also haven't exactly been forthcoming with the necessary assurances.

So the iPhone 5 receded from my calculations ... for this, and the other reasons I previously mentioned.

Not to worry, I bought a Samsung Galaxy S3 instead. I looked at the Galaxy Note ... but that seemed a tad to big for my purposes. The LG Optimus 4X and the HTC One X looked like great competitors at around the same price (a tad more than $500 for the 32Gb version), and the Optimus had a Micro-SD slot to supplement phone memory ... but I like the S3 form factor, quick 4 core CPU, micro-USB charging and the big screen for its relatively compact size.

I still reckon hubris has set in at Apple, and that they're not a value proposition compared to their more open standard driven, less proprietary, competitors. I'll miss the App Shop for the phone, but will be able to run Google Maps and YouTube on the new puppy ... and it will accept my Micro-SIM from the old iPhone ... so there should be minimal aggravation for me in the switch.
---