[LINK] Supercomputing for everyone

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Wed Sep 19 09:59:10 AEST 2012

At 01:21 AM 19/09/2012, stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:
> > It looks to me like yet another cloud solution looking for a problem.
>
>Take your point Bernard. Mind you, thinking about it, being cloud-based,
>data will be in/of 'known' formats, so, if our many cloud-providers work
>hard regards their interface & modules (eg a wind-tunnel module) whereby
>one simply plugs-in data, and plays what-if, one can see it being indeed
>a valuable and hither-to unavailable SME design and development resource.

I didn't give this much thought when posted, but what Stephen is
pointing out could also be extended like this. If we are graduating
people with super-computer training and access in universities, it
would be great for start-up businesses challenged by access to
capital to gain access to these sorts of resources. It may not be a
huge number in the early days and maybe not optimally, but as large
computing power networks for engineering problems become available,
people will figure out ways to use them. In a way it's a 'open it up
and they will come' approach.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com