[LINK] Supercomputing for everyone

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Wed Sep 19 10:52:53 AEST 2012

On 19/09/2012 9:59 AM, Jan Whitaker wrote:
> I didn't give this much thought when posted, but what Stephen is
> pointing out could also be extended like this. If we are graduating
> people with super-computer training and access in universities, it
> would be great for start-up businesses challenged by access to
> capital to gain access to these sorts of resources.

That's a big "if".

> It may not be a
> huge number in the early days and maybe not optimally, but as large
> computing power networks for engineering problems become available,
> people will figure out ways to use them. In a way it's a 'open it up
> and they will come' approach.

IMHO, models are an aid to understanding, not an end of themselves. The
potential for mis-use worries me.

I'm reminded of some relevant quotes:

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics"
“To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.”
“A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in
human history–with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.”
“Programming is like sex: one mistake and you’re providing support for a
lifetime.”

--

Regards
brd