[LINK] Open publishing strike - editorial board resigns

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Mon Apr 1 13:19:47 AEDT 2013

At 12:59 +1100 1/4/13, Kim Holburn wrote:
>On 2013/Apr/01, at 9:57 AM, Roger Clarke wrote:
>
>>  At 9:37 +1100 1/4/13, Tom Worthington wrote:
>>>  Yes, the issue of academic publication costs issue has been brewing for
>>>  years.
>>>  Publishing costs money, but how much is in dispute.   ...
>>
>>  "An unincorporated mutual can produce a limited-quantity hard-copy
>>  journal for $20,000 p.a., and an eJournal for $8,000 p.a.
>
>$20,000 p/a for traditional publishing but using POD printing it
>would be little more than the eJournal.

Did you read the article?  (:-)}

These Appendices suggests that printing costs are about 35-60% of the
costs of a printed-journal:
http://www.rogerclarke.com/EC/JP-CP-UMSubs.html
http://www.rogerclarke.com/EC/JP-CP-ASJHC.html

I didn't specifically deal with POD in that paper, but at one
extremity the use of POD means that the journal *is* an eJournal,
i.e. the subscriber receives a soft-copy electronically, and they can
choose to print it of they wish.

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in the Faculty of Law               University of NSW