[LINK] Turnbull's NBN

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 01:56:07 AEST 2013

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 10:45 AM, Glen Turner <gdt at gdt.id.au> wrote:
> The NBN-installed fibre can run up to 10Gbps asymmetric. However the lasers and receivers for this are expensive. So the question is how slow to run the NBN last mile fibre so that it results in a service which is cheap enough for householders. NBNCo have decided that they will use 100Mbps lasers and receivers.

What kind of hardware is this?. Consumer GPON equipment can do a
maximum of 2.4 Gbps downstream and 1.2Gbps upstream (as in the Huawei
HG8245 - although that's a bit of a theoretical lie for the optical
port, the unit's processor can do NAT at only 900 Mbps maximum).

http://enterprise.huawei.com/en/products/network/access-network/pon-one/en_hg8245.htm

I'm hoping the 100Mbps on the NBN is a defined service level at the
TCP/IP routers/NOC, not a limitation of the Optical Network Terminator
(ONT).

GEPON, which encapsulates packets in Ethernet frames, can do 2.5 Gbps
symmetrical, according to this
http://www.ad-net.com.tw/index.php?id=495

I'm curious as if the NBN uses GPON or GEPON. GEPON is said to have lower cost.

Down here, my telco installs GPON, not GEPON, although the FTTH ISP
with the best price/Mbit ratio uses GEPON, sadly I'm out of their
network coverage area...

FC
Buenos Aires, Argentina

- George Orwell