[LINK] Turnbull's NBN

Paul Brooks pbrooks-link at layer10.com.au
Fri Apr 12 14:31:53 AEST 2013

On 12/04/2013 09:34, Roger Clarke wrote:
> At 9:24 +1000 12/4/13, Tom Worthington wrote:
>> The cabinets and overhead cables are vulnerable to bushfire, but I
>> noticed no interruption to service during the Canberra 2003 fires:
>> http://www.tomw.net.au/2003/enet.html
> It wiped out significant parts of Chapman's infrastructure, and hence
> service, because segments of the lines ran on the ridge side of the
> suburb, which is where the fire raged.
>
> (Chapman had been connected to Transact only weeks earlier).
>
> Bernard may or may not have noticed this particular loss though ...

Believe me there was a significant fraction of the customer base that did have their
service interrupted those days. Also, the mobile towers  went silent as well when
their backup batteries ran out. When the poles carrying the overhead power cables are
burnt through, it matters little whether the broadband and other comms is on the same
poles or not, everything turns off - in the Internet world, we call this 'fate
sharing'. Lots of green lights turned to red on the display board that evening - but
in perspective, much of the city had bigger things on their minds.
P.