[LINK] Spam filters may increase government unclaimed account revenue

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Wed Apr 17 10:21:33 AEST 2013

At 10:06 AM 17/04/2013, Tom Worthington wrote:

>Australian banks are required to send the government any money in an
>account which has not been used for three years. Had I not read the
>email, my money would have disappeared. How much money is going to the
>government because the unclaimed account notices look like Spam?

Although I agree that emails from banks are ignored regularly, and
should be, I would be pointing out to your advisor a better way to
communicate with clients and to clean up his grammar.

The story about the unused accounts being handed over to the
government has been out in the news for at least a month if not
longer. You don't lose your money, it still belongs to you, and
unlike in non-interest bearing accounts in a bank where account
keeping fees often eat up the funds over time, you get interest from
the government held funds. Just like the abandoned super accounts, I
believe the policy establishes a 'lost money' register you can query
if you suspect you may have forgotten an account.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/