[LINK] What I don't like about Murdoch's NBN

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Tue Apr 23 20:37:52 AEST 2013

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 06:49:57PM +1000, Frank O'Connor wrote:

> 9. Has little in the way of vision or imagination ... what we'll be
> getting is pretty much the same as we've got now, but some people will
> have up to twice the speed the currently get.

this is a major point that is mostly ignored. it has been pointed out
several times that Liberal's version of NBN is about 70% of the cost of
Labor's NBN for (being generous) about 5% of the performance.

what hasn't been noticed is that it's 70% of the cost of Labor's NBN to
get something that's about the same as what we have now. it's throwing
money away for little or no benefit.

Liberal's NBN isn't worth *anything*, but they want to waste $29 billion
or so on it.

and that $29B does not include replacing the aging and degraded copper
in the ground so that customers can actually get something like the
25-50Mbps promised.  Most of those lines can't do full-speed ADSL1 or
ADSL2 now, they're certainly not going to be good enough for VDSL.

it's not just lack of vision or even technical incompetence - it's
an outright lie. they know it can't work, there's no way they could
possibly not know that. it's Liberal policy because it's the policy that
Murdoch wants them to have. and it will, no doubt, be sold at a massive
loss to Murdoch in a few years time....my prediction: at best, 5-10% of
the build cost - and the timing will be only a few years early for it to
be a very generous 90th birthday present from the australian people to
our very own evil overlord of the fourth estate.

craig

(from now on, i'm going to try never to refer to it as Liberal's NBN or
Turnbull's NBN - the correct name is Murdoch's NBN)

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>