[LINK] Australian CyberWarfare Battalion

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Thu Aug 8 10:59:48 AEST 2013

On Thu, 2013-08-08 at 10:26 +1000, Tom Worthington wrote:
> Yes, that is the idea. Rather than having a few anonymous people in a
> remote government building who you hope are protecting your interests,
> these would be work colleagues you see every day.

That is literally the only good thing about your proposal - that at
least these people would be identified, so they could be kept away from
anything important. I'm assuming that host organisations would also have
the right to refuse to employ such people? That such people would be
obliged to reveal their affiliation with the military when applying for
jobs? What would happen re discrimination laws if a company refused to
hire someone *because* they were a "cyber-reservist"?

> The reserve military personnel would doing their day job most of the
> time, reporting to their company management. If they identified a cyber
> attack of national importance, they would report it through military
> channels.

That wasn't my question. I was asking whether they would also tell their
host organisation, and who they would tell first.

> > What protections against abuse will be offered?
>
> The same protection which applies to the actions of any member of the
> military, plus the strong personal links reserve personnel have to their
> civilian workplace colleagues.

Not abuse OF the spy, I meant abuse BY the spy. Incorrect information
about the host reaching the military, inappropriate access to corporate
information, failure to report issues to the host organisation,
industrial espionage via their ready-made covert channel etc. Or to coin
a phase, who will watch these watchers?

All of these things can be done by ordinary employees, of course; the
difference is that these people may be protected by their military
function, leaving the host organisation harmed and without recourse.
Hence my question.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: B862 FB15 FE96 4961 BC62 1A40 6239 1208 9865 5F9A
Old fingerprint: AE1D 4868 6420 AD9A A698 5251 1699 7B78 4EEE 6017