[LINK] No more human sysadmins??

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Fri Aug 9 20:50:07 AEST 2013

On Fri, 9 Aug 2013, Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:

> Sys admins shouldn't manage applications, they should only manage systems.

I think you are using an unreasonably narrow definition of sysadmin here,
and one out of step with widespread usage.  I actually suspected this
after your first email but decided not to mention it then.

Professional sysadmins routinely manage applications.  This is often a big
part of their job and the distinction between system and application is
sometimes not even meaningful.  A high proportion of sysadmins are
focussed on application support.

> Application managers should manage applications. It's a question of
> division of responsibilities.

You can give them a different name if you like.  Sysadmins often have a
variety of titles.

I think it is time for me to bow out of the conversation Bernard, we're
not talking the same language.  Stay well.

Rob

--
Email: robert at timetraveller.org		Linux counter ID #16440
IRC: Solver (OFTC & Freenode)