[LINK] Arithmetic, Population and Energy

Rick Welykochy rick at vitendo.ca
Tue Aug 13 02:11:18 AEST 2013

stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:

> An email from a friend ..
>
> Dr Albert Bartlett's presentation "Arithmetic, Population, and Energy."
>
> http://bit.ly/1e6wXiy
>
> As a global tribute to Dr Bartlett, people are invited to view his
> famous 8 part You Tube lecture series "Arithmetic, Population, and
> Energy" at <http://bit.ly/1e6wXiy> (aptly tabbed "The Most Important
> Video You'll Ever See."

Thanks so much for this video, Stephen.

When I read your post, my first thought was that I know all
about exponential growth, linear vs geometric and all that
stuff. Heck, I even entertained the (very false) idea of
"sustainable growth."

Dr Bartlett's presentation blew me away.

First up, he presents some very simple formulae for instantly
determining useful things relating to growth, population and
consumption of finite resources.

e.g. the time T to double a population given growth rate R:

  T = 70/R

Example: at 7% growth per annum, doubling time is 10 years.

This simple formula leads to all sorts of rather unexpected
and sometimes shocking results.

Dull headline: Crime rate of increase still a low 7%
Same headline as a shocker: Crime doubles in past 10 years
Both mean the same thing.

His lecture goes on to relate doubling time to all sorts of other
aspects in our economy such as population explosion, resource
discovery and exploitation and subsequent depletion of same.

Bartlett then discredits many of the falsehoods presented by
the media, economists and gummint.

"Sustainable growth" is an easily refuted lie perpetrated on an
uninformed population of avid consumers. I cannot use that term
in future in any context that approaches the truth.

Dr Bartlett sticks to facts throughout his arguments. And his
arguments are highly recommended to all Linkers.

regards
rickw

p.s. although Dr Bartlett is not a conspiracy theorist, my mind
was conjuring up all sorts of reasons that vested interests are
purposely lying to us regarding sustainable growth, resource
reserves and the carrying capacity of the environment. In a
word: profit.

--
Rick Welykochy || Vitendo Consulting

The chief source of problems is solutions.
       -- Eric Sevareid