[LINK] itNews: Turnbull's NBN policy escapes costing

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Fri Aug 16 08:01:11 AEST 2013

[More smoke and mirrors from Turnbull.
[The worry is that he might actually believe the rhetoric he had to
come up with after Abbott trapped him into the anti-NBN shadow
ministry role.]

Turnbull's NBN policy 'detailed enough' to escape costing
Allie Coyne
Aug 16, 2013 6:34 AM (1 hour ago)
http://www.itnews.com.au/News/353616,turnbulls-nbn-policy-detailed-enough-to-escape-costing.aspx

Sees no value-add from independent financial analysis.

Opposition Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull believes the
Coalition's NBN plan is detailed enough to warrant not pushing
further for an independent assessment of costings and assumptions.

Turnbull told iTnews he had approached the Parliamentary Budget
Office (PBO) to cost his party's alternative NBN plan before it was
publicly announced on April 9.

But the PBO said it did not have the resources or expertise to cost
the alternative NBN proposal in-house and would have had to outsource
the work, which was seen as neither practical nor feasible.

Turnbull decided against pursuing the services of external financial
consultants to perform an independent costing after being turned down
by the PBO, believing it unnecessary.

"I don't know that a lot could have been added [to our policy] by
going through an independent costings exercise," he said.

"I think the assumptions speak for themselves. I don't think there's
anything in what we've assumed that is unrealistic."

He said the Coalition had provided enough detail in its policy
documentation that third parties, such as the media, could analyse it
for themselves.

Turnbull told iTnews the Coalition had put forward what was likely
the most detailed communications policy ever from an opposition party
but Labor NBN supporters were still not satisfied.

"We've said if we get elected we're going to do a bunch of things
Labor hasn't done," he said.

"We are going to do a rigorous analysis, we will get Infrastructure
Australia to do an independent cost benefit analysis. That's all set
out in our policy.
"We've set it out in considerable detail."

The PBO, established in July 2012, is the only government agency
available to the Coalition for costings.

The Coalition had submitted around 200 of its policies to the PBO for
costing prior to the announcement of the September federal election,
and was now having them re-costed, Opposition Treasurer Joe Hockey
said yesterday.

The Coalition's plan favours a fibre-to-the-node network over Labor's
fibre-to-the-premise rollout, and promises to connect 71 percent of
Australian premises to an FTTN network and 22 percent of homes and
businesses to FTTP at a cost of $29.5 billion by 2019.

Labor's NBN will cost $37.4 billion until 2021 and will offer a fibre
connection to the premise for 93 percent of homes and businesses.

Turnbull has recently indicated the Coalition would consider rolling
out more FTTP "if the price is right".

Communications Minister Anthony Albanese this week on Lateline said
financial services firm KMPG had audited NBN Co's corporate plan in
2010 and found "in terms of the timelines and the costings, that all
the assumptions were good."

Tel: +61 2 6288 6916                        http://about.me/roger.clarke

Visiting Professor in the Faculty of Law            University of N.S.W.