[LINK] SU: 'Downloads make little mark on box office'

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Sat Aug 24 10:20:35 AEST 2013

At 08:57 AM 24/08/2013, Roger Clarke wrote:
>''I am confident that most reasonable consumers would happily accept
>paying for content if it was priced fairly and delivered in a manner
>in which the consumer desires.''

Hate to break it to them but the issue is this: cost to go to the
movies now. I've turned into a once a week movie goer. The theatres
are nearly empty all the time during the week, evenings included.
People think it's nuts to pay nearly $20 to see a film. Truly - full
adult price is $19, add $2 for VMAX and more for 3D, getting to $24!
Why would you when you can delay the gratification and buy the thing
for not much more or find a teenager who is downloading it anyway?

In the US, this would be laughed at. If they aren't considering the
impact of ticket prices here, they aren't looking at the whole picture.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/