[LINK] Amazon Prime Air

Paul Brooks pbrooks-link at layer10.com.au
Tue Dec 3 17:50:32 AEDT 2013

On 3/12/2013 4:19 PM, Jan Whitaker wrote:
> At 03:47 PM 3/12/2013, stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:
>> Also seem to me that it would be smart to simply make them fly X metres
>> above the existing roads. The roads are already quite accurately mapped.
'Accurately mapped' being a relative term - accurate to a few tens of metres, which is
less accurate than the actual width of most residential roads, and subject to the
resolution of GPS and the frequency of sampling, which can be +/- 30 metres for a
fairly rapidly moving device.

Having watched a 'GPS locked' stabilised hovering quadcopter wander randomly around an
area of half a football field, and bob up and down more than 1 metre around a nominal
height of 2 metres set by a continuously measuring ultrasonic transducer to ground
level, I am quietly confident an autonomous drone might be able to successfully
navigate down the rough centre-line of the Pacific Highway, partcularly as it has no
right-angle bends, but in typical 10m wide suburban streets with sharp right angle bends?

> Images now of the City Link tunnels being closed because a drone
> slammed into one of the overhead signs......
And as long as they aren't following Apple Maps, especially the vertical contour
transitions.

P.