[LINK] Any crash courses for a Gen X?

Glen Turner gdt at gdt.id.au
Wed Dec 4 18:41:18 AEDT 2013

They are demonstrating that their network is running reasonably. Some ISP backbones congest during peak hours or during loss of some links.

> Um. Am I honestly expected to understand any of this?

View it like the TDC indicator on your car. If you aren't fixing it, you don't need to know what it is. If you are fixing it, then it's useful information. In fact for my purposes it's rather basic (I should hope your backbone doesn't congest, now tell be about your distribution links).

As a business person, treat it like accounting. You can go through the pain of doing it yourself, or you can pay a professional to establish the basics which you then mostly run yourself with occasional assistance.

And sure Telstra could have done this better. The matrix could be reduced to the item of interest: a list of the portions and times the network under-performed. But that's a bit blunt and Telstra probably prefer people to hunt to find any bad news.

-glen