[LINK] Fwd: [PRIVACY] [apfma] AAP: AFP to use DPI to collect email metadata

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Tue Dec 10 18:06:59 AEDT 2013

Hi Jan,

Some simple things.  1.  Mail client configuration: Always use encrypted protocols to talk to your email servers.  If pop, use pops, if imap, imaps, webmail, https.  When sending use smtps.  To avoid Australian surveillance avoid local servers but then maybe it's best to avoid US servers too and most other governments are trying to get a slice of the pie now too!

Mostly emails end up going between your server and your recipient's server in the clear, although that may start to change.  You have little control of the email once it leaves your mail server unless you use serious encryption on the email.  That is a PITA to use and it has to be done at both ends.

A lot of people started using German email accounts recently.  Not sure if that helps.  What you really want is a secure mail system like lavabit, but that's been nobbled by the US.

Kim